Preparation Time: 20 minutes (plus thawing time if using frozen chicken)
Cooking Time: 55-60 minutes
1 Whole Chicken 1.2-1.3kg (fresh or thawed if frozen)
2 Tablespoons cooking oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Prepare the chicken
If your chicken is frozen, make sure to transfer it from the freezer to the refrigerator 48 hours before you plan to cook it.
20 minutes before you begin preparing the chicken, take it out of the fridge to bring it to room temperature.
1) Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2) Quarter the carrots length ways and cut the other vegetables into approximately 1.5-inch pieces and arrange them in a baking pan.
3) Drizzle with a bit of cooking oil and season them to your liking.
4) Pop the pan of veggies into the oven for a head start on cooking, about 15 minutes before you add the chicken.
5) While the veggies are roasting, prepare the chicken. Ensure you've removed any giblets from the chicken's cavity and trim any excess skin. Pat it dry with a paper towel.
6) Season the chicken generously, inside and out, with your preferred seasoning.
7) Secure the chicken either with an oven-proof rubber band or butcher's twine to keep it in shape.
8) After the veggies have had their head start, take the pan out and place the seasoned chicken on top.
9) Return the pan to the oven and roast for around 55-60 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius, or until the chicken's internal temperature reaches approximately 68-70 degrees Celsius. As the chicken rests, it will continue cooking and reach the safe internal temperature for poultry (75 degrees).
10) Once the chicken is done, remove it from the oven and let it rest. If the veggies need more time, leave the pan in the oven.
11) Carve the cooked chicken and serve it alongside the roasted vegetables when they're ready.
After removing the vegetables, you can deglaze the pan on the stove with some stock then add flour, season & mix to create a flavourful gravy for that extra touch of deliciousness.